Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Do we really believe?

Have you ever written down the stuff you usually only say to yourself? You know...the stuff that runs through your mind as you go about your day? You know...the stuff you would NEVER say out loud? I did that today. It was shocking. I rant about my irritating life, family, home... in my mind....WAY TOO MUCH! I must not REALLY believe that I have an amazing life. When I was younger, I would have never imagined the life I have. A sweet hubby. Three beautiful daughters. A comfy home to keep us safe and warm. I share this "truth" often, but I do not I say it to myself...in my mind...nearly as much. Why? Why is my mind occupied with such trivial, negative, energy-wasting thoughts...instead of the TRUTH of my life?

Do we really believe what we say we believe? Do we really see and understand the truth of our own life?

These questions lead to me to dwell on this: Do we really understand the extent of the gospel? Can we possibly fathom what it was that Christ actually endured, and then accomplished on the cross? Do we really BELIEVE...do we really LIVE...the truth of the gospel? Pastor shared these verses last Sunday. Perhaps you might dwell on them today.
But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was CRUSHED for our iniquities, the chastening for our well-being FELL UPON HIM...and by His SCOURGING we are healed. Is.53:5

All of us like sheep have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way:
But the LORD has caused the iniquity of us all...TO FALL ON HIM. Is. 53:6

He was oppressed and He was afflicted, YET HE DID NOT OPEN HIS MOUTH. Is 53:7a

CRUSHED. SCOURGED. OPPRESSED. AFFLICTED. and yet uttered NOT A WORD!

2 comments:

Robin's Reports said...

I know what you're saying. I had a moment like that while going through 1 Peter Bible study and then singing "When I survey the wonderous cross." We don't give enough time to let those words sink in deep and recognize what He endured for us.

Thank you for your wise post.

Tanya said...

Good post Kat. It's part of controlling our thoughts. Forcing out the wrong and replacing it with truth.
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Philippians 4:8
Pretty much commands us not to dwell on lies. The question is, are we daring enough to actually be obedient to this part of scripture? It's pretty life-changing.